Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Draped Model  - REVISED 03-18 - Name Change Also (Read 475 times)
Tim
Supreme Member

Re: Draped Model  (With Audio)
Reply #19 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Hello Norm,

I stopped reading this thread on your last reply; it's becoming too long for me and I fear I may forget what I wanted to initially say about the poem.

In no order of importance:

I think she's wearing bloomers. The draping cloth is return to the old masters, with a 17th century modesty(??)

I don't think there's a necessity to stay slavish to the form. Pope is famous for making fun of that style of writing, so adding a spondee, trochee or whatever changes up the plodding pace. I understand that the mission here on this website is to help all readers develop an understanding of what iambic pentameter is(among other metre and form), yet I think that some of the advanced form writers that dwell occasionally in firebox should occasionally play with the full measure of their faculties. I've often thought how interesting it would be to see more of that.

With the poem starting "In this museum...", I got a sense of the guy coming to see a work of art (like the photo you offer us). His brush and being behind a curtain led me down a voyeuristic road that I don't think you wanted. If the poem had started "In the studio...", then I would have expected the guy to be in the room with a brush and brush wouldn't seem to 'pop out of nowhere', because for me it does. 

It took me awhile to come to the conclusion, that the syntax of this poem may be an attempt at a sonnet matching the timeframe the picture is in front of us (i.e. 1800's). Inversion and front caps where very much there. I don't see this as going all the way back to "Willy's" days, but I would have to ask this: without the picture, reading just the poem, could the reader/critter get that? I'm not sure they would. I didn't get it. Grant it I'm not formalist extraordinaire, either.

I found this poem to be confusing in it's construct and the duality of the lines, while clever left me overwhelmed, until I could sit down and really take it apart. Even then, it helped to have some of what's been said in this thread to get me over the hump. 

Michael, Norm, et al.
While it's not necessary to say this, I want to throw my hat into this thread. No one, including Norm, would disagree with Michael's eye for line-by-line breakdown of poems and his ability to get a point across, there is a style of Michael's crit that comes from 'the world outside PT' (eek, a world outside of this website...I thought the internet was flat....). 

Let me expand on this statement. One thing we at PT do not do is keep our focus on the poem throughout our crits. In an ideally, helpful environment, a critter could address the writer directly, because there is a family-style of existence on this website. While we do try and stay on task and keep to the poem, there are times we deviate. Enter Michael. His language is no different than what I've seen in other places. The difference is, there are points when he's speaking to a poet specfically and times when he is speaking about a poem. When the line is blurred as such, how can a poet not fail to take it personal. Descriptors like tortured or messy sound like something from a bad gradeschool encounter. Yet, I don't see that happening here. Tortured is describing the forcing of words into a metre that sounds awkward. Not that it was tortorous for the reader....but, it certainly could go that way. My point? 

In the firebox, esp., we (the critters) should make an extra effort to direct our attention to the poem and not the poet. A few exceptions are allowed, such as addressing the poet when there is a commonality of issues in their work that could be addressed, etc. 

Yes, Michael's language is strong and if I were on the receiving end of it, I wouldn't like it either. Conversely, there is a wide world of publication and Firebox is designed as the last step for a poem, before it goes out into the world and if the writer does have thin-skin (like me) s/he doesn't grow. I find that in the end, there is a balance between what Norm has carefully and successfully set up---an environment that nurtures the writer, while trying to aid in their growth and learning---and the world outside where Michael comes from (and ultimately, we all do--since none of us were born on PT, per se). 

Side note to Michael (if you are reading this): I am one of the few people you will encounter, who's used the first person pronoun in lower case. I did not do it out of laziness, but out of a spiritual belief in reducing the importance of the self---pseudo zen-buddhism, if you will. Alas, since the world outside can be likened to a river, then I am clearly the pebble that can do naught but be washed away. Consider this my declaration of change.

This thread should no longer get personal. I think what we need to do is find a balanced (esp. in Firebox where some critters enjoy "playing through") approach or at least a revision of ground rules so that all play under the same umbrella, including a reduction of ad hominem remarks. This could allow proper stoking of the fires.

Namaste to all,
~Tim/azurepoetry

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Hi Norm

A very sensual interpretation of the portrait.  I like the way you see the artist and his feelings for the model.

I'm not a lover of capitalising each line but realise you are going for a particular style.  The same is true of the archaic language with unnecessary words to fit the metre.

I'm not expert enough to offer advice on better phraseology to fit the metre, my temptation as always veers towards cutting unnecessary words and disregarding syllable counts.

I do however have a few thoughts on punctuation - take or leave as you wish.

Quote:

In this museum, his love does reside
Through secret visits, he makes love at will;
His naked model looks where he does hide
Behind that curtain viewing her so still.  <<I wonder about a comma after curtain

He, the open book, )not she(, stares in,  <<<I'm not quite sure what happened here with brackets but I don't think you need both brackets and the first comma after book
Torn, "To be exposed," he is transfixed;
With idealistic beauty 'neath her skin
Her intuition knows his feeling's mixed.  <<<Feeling's caused me to pause, trying to work out whether it is feeling is.. or feelings are...  Also the change in POV from him to her is confusing

He's touched and longs to read her with his brush, <<I had no problem with your use of touched here.  It is quite common to say "I'm very touched that you....."  Nor was the introduction of brush.  We know he's the artist from the reference to "naked model"
Though spatial and the temporal forbid;
The artist can do nothing more than hush
The truth, which through his art, his pastels hid.

This reproduction, same as she was then,
     Is sketched and etched into his life again.

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2007 at 12:36pm by nas »  

IP Logged

Normpo
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Forum Administrator

Reply #17 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 2:53am
Print Post  
daniel,

since I've been mystified by ONE thing each time I've seen this picture, could you please answer this for me, because it so distracts me as to not be able to offer critique of your poem!!! 

Why in the world is that one patch of rear so WHITE.  There seems to be some strange flaw in the picture.  It's not lighting.  Something seems so artificial, like it's a mistake.  Surely someone must have commented on that!  (Or is it like the Emperor's clothing that everyone pretends to see ?) 
Daniel -- I answered this above in one of my responses -- in ALL pictures of this, she is wearing bloomers or a modesty half sheet under the drape.

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #16 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 2:48am
Print Post  
Doug

Draped Model (or Naked Truth)   

In this museum[,] his love does reside   

My scan of this finds an pair of anapests in the line.  Doug -- I do see your point and I even like your substitute -- but not for the use/abuse of anapests. We have this same debate all the time -- and Eric and I are now of the same mind that if it READS right aloud -- it's "allowed". I keep on referencing one of the most famous sonnets of all time -- taught everywhere - Ozymandias by Shelly. The poem is a meter nightmare but it has not hurt it one bit. I am no Shelley and I do understand strict form. I just don't buy into changing a line because of a spondee (Milton's favorite misuse of the form and he has done okay) or an anapest. If the line is awkward--the line is awkward and should be looked at for revision. But NOT because it breaks some rule of meter IMHO.

muSEum his Love does reSIDE 

I wonder if simply placing does immediately following museum would work better. 

Through secret visits[,] he makes love at will;   
His naked model looks where he does hide  I see your suggestions but I really must somehow retain the duality of hides-- "resides" won't do that. but your second offering brings in gazing and retains what I want --- GREAT suggestion and I'll use it.

There is a syntaxical awkwardness here...a couple of alternate ideas:  note: my spell checker balked at "syntaxical" ~smile

His naked model looks where he resides... 

His naked model gazes where he hides... 

Behind that [the or a] curtain viewing her so still.   

Again, must I teach grammar to the teacher    The curtain is not doing the viewing, but the line reads as if it is.  Oh, Doug. Again, not defensive, but try and see what I am doing here. I really should have a comma after curtain. The "he is" is an understood subject and verb in this sentence --- a common usage BTW >>> so if not metered verse the "sentence would read as follows: "H's behind that curtain where he's viewing her so still".  But look what I am trying to do with this structure. Should it be read that he is behind the curtain and while viewing her HE is so still ---or is it he's behind the curtain viewing HER and SHE is so still (not him)? I retain that duality and metaphor as to who will "move first", etc.

He, the open book, (not she), stares in,   

The gemini spondees have left you hopping on one foot in each line. Not sure if it can or need be changed because the flow is perfect imperfectly. Might I suggest one idea...change book to Tome and gain some alliteration with Torn, To, and Transfixed... Absolutely correct -- what was I thinking. This was really not well done and you pointed it out well.  And your revised suggestions keep everything intact INCLUDING the IP which I lacked in those lines.

Her intuition knows his feeling's mixed.   

I'm missing the intransitive; it reads as if the feelings have mixed some unknown object, rather than being the object of the mixing.   
I am back to not agreeing on this -- that duality of the "He's" can be either "He is touched -- predicate nominative where touched is modifying him (he) OR He's (has) touched as in an action verb of touching another object or person. I must keep that line as is or lose the whole purpose of the poem (maybe to touch or NOT to touch -- or is "touched"). Gee, when I wrote it I thought it was the best line of the poem! Go figure! And the line that follows complements that thought.

He's touched and longs to read her with his brush,   

I don't think the use of adjective as noun works well here, Norm.   
I don't follow this as being "techie", per Michael, for it certainly applies to photography in terms of distance/depth of field, and time. It also is found in Shakespeare more than a few times -- certainly non-techie.

The truth, which through his art [, ...?] his pastels hid.   

This reproduction, same as she was then   

I do think Michael has a point about the move to a "painters" metaphor, but not for the same reasons. My thought has to do with the format of the art work being a photograph, not a painting. Since Vicki, like myself, is a shutter bug, I'm sure she could help you drop down a stop or two on this and gain an image with more depth.   
I am a little disappointed that I did not communicate this the way I saw it as so obvious. Let's see it from a "Norm" perspective -- photograph or not, I saw the photographer as positioned in front of the model--facing her back as posed. The picture being taken is that of a model about to be painted...maybe even waiting for the painter before she complete "undrapes" herself. And if my reader doesn't see it from the words like "museum", "pastels" and "BRUSH then I guess I have failed --- or has the READER failed? Maybe the poem should be titled "Painter's Model" >>> just don't get why this didn't translate. Even Vicki got this one loud and clear, BTW. There was nothing too cryptic or esoteric IMHO. The poem tells you someone is behind the curtain, the painting artist symbols are all in place, etc, etc, etc. 

There is one thing I always DO hang my hat on though -- three astute critters and writers (You, Daniel and Michael) have weighed in on this and told me i did not communicate well. THAT resonates with me and I will surely take it to heart and approach revision with that in mind. I think I will first clean up the real "mistakes" pointed out and revise the lines you and Michael and Daniel suggested. But before I change the poem to the extent I lose power of the "love" message and the conflict, I will need to "bounce this off others to see if it hits home the right way.

Just some thoughts, 
I always appreciate and respect your thoughts, Doug and you present them with clarity and concern with an eye towards making me a better writer -- much appreciated.

Norm

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #15 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Michael,

I do not have the time now (maybe for a while) to answer you on all this. I will be blunt on one issue: I do NOT wish to see poets here subjected to having their lines called "messy" --- I care NOT if the whole poem was "torturous" to YOU -- I'd like you to PLEASE find a better way to tell the writer of your obvious pain. I do not WANT your bluntness if and when it comes out and appears to abuse another's feelings. Talk to the poem. Talk to the art of poetry. But please stop imposing YOUR feelings in words that truly offend. People will stop listening, Michael. They don't want to hear it put that way -- nor do I feel it is the way to teach and help. PERIOD. Some of us have been through all this on other sites and do not wish to go through it here on the train. For four years we have had calm and respect for each other. I am saying this publicly in thread because I want all to realize they do not have to be offeded that way. It does not diminish your ability to point out what you think is lacking or "incorrect" -- but on THIS SITE you must develop the ability to get that across without the venom (as it is perceived by the receiver). You obviously have a command of the language -- USE IT and please stop telling us in words that pierce and harm the psyche of others. You habe too musch to offer here -- why diminish all that with your tone. It has nothing to do with "soft skin" -- it has to do with tact, decency, sensitivity, caring and a SINCERE desire to TEACH not to just hear oneself belch forth his/her own emotional feelings in words that demean. It also degrades your ability to be accepted with any credibility of real purpose to help. I already have three private emails concerned about TONE (not quality of crit --- delivery). You will render yourself mute if people do not wish hear your helpful input through what is now commonly being heard through a "vicious" tongue that is not at all necessary to give effective crit.  You KNOW as you write these kinds of words what it will do to the reader --- they are buzz words. If you are looking for "shock value" you have achieved it... but it does not forward your position very well. You will have no listening audience. We all know Don Rickles was "joking" -- you are NOT.

Regarding all the rest -- the debate is useless. You ignored the fact that other modern writers, far more worthy than Norm, do, in fact, use caps on every line of a sonnet. Their editors and critics did not, obviously, have a problem with it YOU DO! End it there, Michael! I am glad you are not on any editing boards to whom I submit my "archaic" verse. LOL  Sooner or later you will have to come to grips with the fact your POV is not the ONLY POV and talking with a self-righteous absolute tone like it IS the only right way is a bit too arrogant as it is heard. I did NOT say YOU are arrogant -- I say your tone and "rightness" paint you that way IMHO.

So I'll not debate you "back" on your points --  you ignored, for the most part, my examples. When you spoke to the contractions issue after I cited three sonnets where Shakespeare used them, your response was a tersely implied, "then use more of them like Will did ." Well, Will only used ONE in those sonnet examples -- do we tell the bard he erred and that he should be more consistent and use more of 'em (apostrophe intended)?  NOT!

All that said --- three posters on this thread have all said this is choppy and does not have the well-designed flow it should have. I, as writer, have to truly accept that as a truth and will take Daniel's, Doug's and your suggestions to smooth it out and make it more worthy. But note THEIR approach compared to yours. I still owe them responses for their time as well.

Thanks for the effort --- even the debate. But let's curb it for now. There is too much more for me to do in this Cafe than to debate what truly has become NOT debatable.... and it will detract from real critique that is always needed.

Norm

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2007 at 9:11pm by Normpo »  

IP Logged

BrokenSword

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 8:23pm
Print Post  

Okies, some  further discussion.   

Norm, I didn't use the adjectives I did to offend but to DESCRIBE how this reader felt upon certain passages.  If I said 'messy', it means exactly that; I felt the line's delivery was all over the place hence, MESSY.  Why this should bother anyone is beyond me.  I'm describing the road I traveled and yes, tis my choice.  I don't want you to think otherwise and feel it's a fact that doesn't even need commenting on.   

Archaism; when I note this, it is from the THIS standpoint (I like some archaism, some reverse snytax--I even use it on occasion, but believe it should be consistent.);  in this piece, there was not enough consistency to give me the overall old world flavor.  I think there needs to be more for what you've done to be seen as consistent.  That said, I wouldn't have liked the constructions for what they were; this piece lacks flow and I like to read pieces which are not 'tortured'--again, a descriptive to tell you how I felt the construction was done, NOT to say you are a torturer.  I'm telling you that I did not think this piece was smooth sailing at all.  Is that better per descriptive?  Doesn't say as much, imo, as 'tortured', but potato potahto.  I'll use the negatives on positives if it means more to you (et al).  Torture describes a painful advent, something which has sharps and flats, something which has lulls between the 'torture', hence, the reason I used it.  Saying 'this lacked flow and was not smooth' will not give you the same idea, but as I said, we'll do it your way.

Further specific comments, below;

It's always debatable and I could spend hours posting examples of both sides of this,. I write my sonnets BOTH ways. Let's be clear -- I appreciate your point of view and respect your right to post it in my thread. But --- "archaic" is NOT a dirty word -- no more than "liberal" is. If at times I wish to write with caps in the front of every line, I am in quite good company like Shakespeare and Milton. Those guys weren't too shabby and the reader has only him/herself to blame if they stumble from line to line simply because of an upper case letter in from of each line---enjambment or not. I think that argument won't really hold up. Regarding the, "we live in modern times so let's use modern language and methods" ... balderdash! The sonnet itself is "old" or archaic. It is quite reasonable to use the "flavor" of the art form as it was originally scripted by those who "invented" it and popularized it. Surely, I write my sonnets in both styles -- let's not say one is "right" and one is "wrong" please. And BTW, such 20th century poets (and there must be 50 others) like Thomas Hardy, John Masefield, Edna St. Vincent Millay ALL wrote sonnets with all lines capped. Even those who "broke the sonnet rules" for meter (Shelley's famous Ozymandias), or number of lines even (Yeats' Leda and the Swan) STILL used front wend caps on every line! IMO it is a bad argument ... a debate that goes nowhere ... and strictly the opinion of the poet or the critter. You certainly are entitled to feel more comfortable with what you might call the "modern" way (without caps) but it is NOT the only or the "righteous new way. You may think k my poem would be better suited for no caps... I don't.

>>>It is my contention that more readers will eschew this type delivery than the 'modern' language, so I crit from this angle.  Already said; I like some archaism, personally.  I don't think 'modern language' means the same to me and you; I look at it as current grammar and language usage, NOT as plain, conversational tenor.  So, this sonnet doesn't work as well, imo, because you are using the archaic approach--which is not bad/wrong but in my belief, less accessible to the readership.  I write in layers--also less accessible--and that is MY choice.  This can be yours but since my layer-writing doesn't stop critters from claiming I'm obtuse (within their crit), your archaic penchant should not stop me from noting said same.

Ahhh now we should discuss the TONE of critique -- "delivery is a mess" is offensive, brutal and non-productive. It smacks of a self-righteous demeaning tenor towards the person you are supposedly trying to help! It is rude!  Now it does NOT offend yours truly because I could care less --- but that kind of language just has no place in a critique. Yes this is the Firebox -- but there is still the rule of courtesy. Try and soften your approach -- this is not the Carl Rove forum. Be firm but kind. What would be so wrong with saying, "Your delivery, Norm, was hard for me to follow and maybe there are better ways to get your points across." You try that -- you won't find me saying in thread, "Your critique sucks, either"  --- which it DOESN'T, BTW.  You make too many good points to the writer so why spend your time bashing with words like "a mess." 

>>>already addrressed this one, above; delivery was the opposite of smooth and easy, the opposite of 'all in order'.  That more palatable?  I'm looking at WORDS, people, not PEOPLE!  Thin skin won't ever make a better writer and if you take the critter's words as personal, you're not looking at the reasons the words were given in the first place.  Messy is exact, torturous is exact; the words needed to convey these ideas are less exact and more time consuming, imo.  Not trying to lose 'ears' here, but am noting that not everything has to be PC; there's a lil saying I've heard that's fashionable right now--you can kill someone, but there's Hell to pay if you disrespect them.  Jeeez...

Here we go again -- this is an old fashion love poem -- using the most popular 16th century poetic form -- I take a liberty to us such language. When you say "one should say" you again make the assumption that you are the author of the Harbrace Writing Course. "In this museum his love does reside" may not be comfortable or "right" to you, but it accomplishes a lot for me. I want the "archaic"--I want the assonance of does and love -- and if you listened to the audio, it flows just fine IMHO. I am trying not to be defensive -- I take objective criticism quite well -- but you are dead-set against a "style" and not really offering me a clear reason why this line suffers. 

>>>discussed this a bit, too--above.  I think the archaic manner in which you wrote this is not conducive to future re-reads.  That's about as clear as I can be and this 'theory' is not invented by myself but something I've been taught as well as seen through experience; more readers like poetry NOT in Shakespeare's style.  If this was your intended goal, from that perspective (which btw, you did NOT make clear; I assume nothing when I start to crit; if I see a lot of archaisms, I can think you're going for this, but esp in this piece, that was not something I felt you were specifically aiming for but that this delivery is just something you're fond of (might be the case, too)), you have half succeeded.  For that to be your goal, this needs MORE archaism to fall fully in Willy's realm, imo.

>>>then, because the next line is capped, I'm confirmed of this until I read further and realize, that line is also corrupted, 
UGH!! We're are so hung up on caps, aren't we?? ASnd now nest to "mess" we have "corrupt" -- think about that -- the current administration is "corrupt" -- a line of poetry is NOT "corrupt" -- and certainly NOT because it begins with an upper case letter. 

so I went back to L1 and read over the cap and lo and behold, some sense. 
"some sense" --- I feel much better now. 

>>>imo, when the grammar doesn't shake out, it means the line is corrupted.  I'll use softer words next time.  The lines as delivered, were stilted, non smooth, reverse-syntaxed, contained passages which forced me to re-read to figure out what you were saying.  The style did not lend it self to me ever wanting to read this again.  That's the best I can do, Norm.

True -- the poem is not thine but mine. "Reversed syntax" is not a sin-tax. It may just be that poems written in this style are not your cup of tea. I assume you have read the classic sonnets...did THEY trouble you with reverse syntax? 

>>>should be said as; His naked model looks where he hides. NO it should NOT -- I think the critiquer should say, "In my opinion, if I were writing this, I would say .......etc, etc.  You seem to always take the tact that your way is the only way and history tells me you are wrong about that dictate. 

>>>sorry, I'm sure this is true for all critters, though.  Still, I'm not meaning to come across as THE authority but I've seen enough from experience to figure out what the experts are talking about and in counseling posters, even though I  may not like 'telly', if the experience is showing that this IS what the readership wants, THAT'S how I have to come at my crit.  This is what I do, this is what you got.  IF your aim is NOT to reach the majority of audiences, I think you should state up front that you're reaching for those few who like the way Shakespeare wrote and you're working in that genre.  Would sure save me a lot of time; I'd not bother to note reverse syntax (because yes, I'm well aware it was used a lot in them there old days--told you, I like it for the most part but this is less about what I like and more about what is supposed to be the best delivery for your piece to maximize your 15 minutes) and would look to augment the archaism (or lack thereof) dependent on your aim.  I think the vast majority of writers, Norm, do NOT write in this style, so since I'm not a mind reader, I have to go with what the 'vast majority' want and crit towards that end. 

Behind that curtain viewing her so still.   
>>>more line caps, more missing punct; should be 'behind the curtain, viewing  her. no comment -- we are beating a dead HORSE -- in caps! 

>>>sorry, but I did this crit before I knew you favored this style; doesn't demean the intent of the crit, thoug; the front-end caps ARE deterrrents to most readers, and that again is not something I made up but have observed as well as was taught by my oft quoted '30 + year veteren' of the college professorial corps.  I have to look at the responses I've seen and read the advice given through my tenure to make some decisions as to who best understands poetry and the reception it receives.  So far, your opinion of writing this way is not mainstream and except for you (now that I know your goals are not so middle of the road), I'll continue to tell others that caps mean you start a new sentence.  It has been this way for a long time now, Norm; I can't imagine how it will be when you and I are the only ones still capping 'i' whilst the rest of the world has degraded (yeah, my term, offensive as it might be but truthful by my eyes, all the same) to using lowercase.  I see comments by other critters that eschew this lazy habit (lowercase 'i's) and the thought here is that the language is not being honored.  When a poster misspells  and forgets punct, et al, there is a perception of 'don't care enough to honor the language'; I subscribe to this, Norm.  For me, as noted in another thread somewhere, when I see a note/post/crit/whatever that has such 'degradations' as lowercase 'i's, my respect for that person goes down a notch.  I don't think it is proper and feel a lack of respect is indeed happening.  So, I make a choice---I've MADE a choice; I'll not do that knowingly and will dismiss much of the communication inherent to a piece of written work like that, simply because I DO believe the originator has lazy habits.  There is less reason for me to pay attention to this type of written work.   

Bottom line; front end caps stop the flow (my belief as described above) and I have no problem accepting the fact you want to do it this way.  You can accept the fact I will probably not give such poems you write like this as much attention, including crit.  Doesn't make it wrong, Norm, it makes it different.  If what I've seen is true (ah, I've seen it, so, has to be, yes?) and if I believe Howard (the prof I mention) is correct, then to advise someone to use front end caps, to BE archaic, is counter productive to mainstream poetry and critique.  This becomes your choice and anyone else can figure out if they want more readers or a select few.  That's the result of such choices, Norm,  as is my desire to write in layers.  I KNOW I'm making my readership smaller; I don't deny what I see.

>>>this 'still' is nebulous as you have written it; who's so still?  her or him?  I can read this either way.  More forced rhyme, syntax.  In all, this couplet too, should be written as;  Michael, Michael -- THAT duality is exactly the point of the poem and involves point of view -- methinks (archaic form) thou dost not get the gist. 

>>>Oh, I get the duality--hell, I LOVE duality and counsel to use it though few really want to try this approach, but the duality was not smooth, that is; the surface AND the under-layer should both be attainable; here, I got only the one and  felt the hint of the second to be 'nebulous'.

>>>you don't even need the reference to her nor the awkward insert of the parenthetical.   
I think the water is getting too deep -- now you hit the poor writer with "torture" as a means of helping see the error of his ways. Sorry .. there is purpose in the parentheses -- it causes a more pronounced pause, it implies "between the cover of a book" it intones included but not really included, belonging yet not really belonging, and it has a sexual implication. 

>>>already commented on 'toruturous', above.
>>>I note your explanation and tis fine; I think then that using the parantheticals was not worth the trouble and I'd rethink delivery/conveyance of this idea sans the parantheticals.  If you think it worked, more power to you; I didn't.

Now we are close to agreeing -- I pondered over that for some time myself and I think you are correct. It confuses rather than illuminates. I saw picturing the painter behind the curtains thinking, saying, to himself, "To be exposed" but is far too vague -- thanks -- you have confirmed it is awkward 
Again, reconstruction gives;   
torn to be exposed, he's transfixed. not so sure I like your alternative but I will re-work this line. 

>>>I felt a lot of this was too vague and mainly because of delivery, not because you were painting with your eyes closed...

>>>should I note the telly nature of the whole piece so far?  Not many seem to care, so twill just be another concept that is laid by the wayside.   
It is always a thin line between "telly" and "narrating" -- but love poems just have to do that. Read all of Shakespeare's sonnets and they tell and they offer philosophy and/or morals. I don't see a way around it. 

>>>aye, some poems seem to be more challenging to do than others; that's the writer's challenge, imo--to find ways.  I don't mind the occasional telly diatribe, the poem which makes me think at an intellecutal level, but once again, will I recall your words tomorrow?  This is where it always leads to, Norm.  In this piece, I felt you had a great image to work with, could have used words to describe exactly what you were aiming  for and so, there's the inherent failure for me.  I've been challenged in the past to 'find another way to show what I was telling' and though I harumphed, I still tried and found if I stopped looking at my theme in the same way but found another view, it IS possible.  So when I hear you say; you can't find a way around it, well, tis more time you need to spend working it out, imo.  If the purpose of finding ways to show and not tell are important to you, that is.  It always goes back to finding that 16th minute, imo.  Doesn't mean you don't have a good poem, but it probably could be better and that's my aim when critting.

>>>I'm pretty sure you know that the 'masters' considered contractions for their forms verboten, so using it here sure seems like a way to make meter.  You've already twisted the meter, so just swap in the 'be' and make it between. nope --- I think I can point out at least 100 such contractions in Shakespeare's sonnets alone. I just went to ONE page: try reading LV, LVIII, LX,  >>> and just to quote someone more modern, Bob Dylan wrote, "Now Ophelia, she's 'neath the window ." 

>>>then put more contractions and mix in more thees and thous as Willy did; it will enhance what I perceive is the aim of this piece, in your eyes.

>>>gaaaah, what's going on with this piece? I'll take the high road -- if you don't get it, you don't get it. I must surely be missing something true -- you are missing something as you are the missing word; are.  So, this line can say;   
her intuition knows his feeling's mixed...ah what? what have his feelings mixed?    
or   
her intuition knows his feeling's ARE mixed.<<<in which case I have some sense to the line.   

>>>for me, there is I think "are" is correct here but I could be wrong already too many paths to go down; the clarity for all its supposed surface lines, is muddled at best.   muddled -- another left-handed adjective 

>>>sorry; muddle best describes the passage to me.  I can say; not very clear, Norm.  Being PC sure means talking a lot more...you sure you want ME to talk MORE??? heh.
>>>and the line missing its 'are' feels awkward when I read it, hence, another bump for this reader.  The line is not smooth.

>>>wait; where did we get the brush from?  No where have you said he's an artist; you paint him as an onlooker, a voyeur.  So, this 'brush' COULD be a hairbrush which is how I first took it; still with that hazy, ah, brush   HELLO -- the guy is a painter --- she is his model -- he paints with brushes, no? 

>>>and WHERE (up to this point) have you established this fact?  I went with my first inclination, dumb as it might be, because you have NOT established that this 'man in the shadows' is a painter.  You assume because you have 'draped model' that it is only painters here?  Why not scultures, photographers, passer-bys, the art teacher in charge, the exhibit curator--this COULD have been a painting in a museum, Norm; do artists take their brushes there, with them?   So, IF you establish this is a model working in front of painters, well of course I'd expect some brushes to show up...until then, you're making an assumption of your readers.

>>>and now we go from archaic demeanor and tone to one that is high tech; geez, not liking this mixing at all, Norm; spatial and temporal are soooo techie; you don't have a single word that is commensurate yet in this piece.  Surely you can keep the continuity and find subs. guess I can't. I agues neither could Shakespeare in Act I; Scene 1 of Henry V (note "temporal": 
"It must be thought on. If it pass against us, 
We lose the better half of our possession: 
For all the temporal lands which men devout 
By testament have given to the church 
Would they strip from us; being valued thus:" 

>>>Norm; I note your inference and tis fine--borrow vocab from less modern days and esp if your aim is to make this piece less 'modern' in that way.  No problem.  Because I did NOT see this as a piece Willy might ever read in his time, I placed it in the here and now, more or less.  Doing so, ALL the other words you're using, except for the contraction, were not of similar tone/texture/elevation as 'temporal' and 'spatial'.  These two terms have a more 'modern day' scientific feel, hence; techie.  IF you'd used a lot more of these, no issue; you're being consistent, but you did not.  I found these two terms were another 'tangent' re delivery and add to my original postulate of 'messy'.  For me, there are other ways to describe that keep the 'tone' more commensurate.  If you feel these words are exactly in the tonal realm of an archaic-type delivery, no problem;  based on what I've seen/experienced re net poetry, this is not the case and I stated it as such.

>>>btw, I LIKE temporal (less so 'spatial' though it would work if the piece was more intellecually defined, imo), so don't  think I'm not a fan of 'higher elevation' re words, but from what I've seen, tis far from the 'norm'. heh.

losing the archaism is not an option, sorry! 
of front-end capping and a lot cleaner delivery re phrasing.  also, NOT an option -- but thanks for "caring" 

>>>and now that I understand that this type of delivery is your goal, not an issue.  I don't like this type of delivery but you're welcome to do as you please, of course.  My assertion that most audiences WON'T like it still applies.  I'd really find more ways to increase the frequency of both cadence and vocab if you want  to think Willy would have given this a read.   

So, nice bantering with you and I'll see about using less accurate but more wordy descriptives when critting.  The skin is a lot thinner than I guess I thought it was, so I'll tailor remarks with that in mind.   

Can't hurt words, or so I was led to believe and nowhere in this crit or the last, have I indicated I don't luv ya, Norm!  Hope this is clear and since I LIKE to delve more deeply, no doubt such instances are going to be more common.   

Michael   

IP Logged

Just_Daniel
Supreme Member

Slow down; things will
go faster. ~ djr

butt... but...
Reply #13 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
ok, then...

but in all that, I hope my suggestions to go along with Doug's observation that this did not read smoothly...

do not go unnoticed ?

Lightly drawing your attention away from her backside, Daniel  8)

P.S. ... and I might have called this poor trait something like:

of late bloomers
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2007 at 8:06pm by Just_Daniel »  
IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #12 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Daniel and Rene,

EVERY picture of this painting is the same wherever I looked. So that white IS as you see it was painted. So modesty applies here both for the model and the fact that the painter could have easily "covered it up" he opted to paint it in -- I think THAT is a statement on his part.

Norm

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #11 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Michael,

Thanks so much! You gave me a great idea with your criticism of line 5 -- I have edited it already. I like it much better now. It better expresses what I have to say there.

Thanks.

Norm

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #10 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Doug,

I haven't forgotten your effort here -- I will respond later today.

Norm

IP Logged

duetsdove
Supreme Member

Re: undraped, unmodeled...
Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Clothing "at that time" especially bloomers. . .did not have a "band" perse. . .but a drawstring casing. . .which, as I can attest to, does not "cling" in the way an elastic waist might. . .and. . .can be adjusted lower and looser than an elastic waist. . .

plus, I would agree, that "in person". . .it would probably be much more visually clear. . .than an image online can be. . .

I'm going with "bloomers". . .though that really virtually negates the need for a drape at all I would think.  lolol
And on second thought and another look. . .it could be skin. . .and then you're right. . .quite oddly off in color as compared to just above the small of her back. . .

~Ren~

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2007 at 6:19pm by duetsdove »  
IP Logged

Just_Daniel
Supreme Member

Slow down; things will
go faster. ~ djr

undraped, unmodeled...
Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Yes, Ren... in part it looks to be fabric, and yet the shadowing makes it appear to be skin... plus there seems to be no 'band' for the clinging fabric ?

of course it could be a tan-line if the subject were more modern, but even then, I don't think the line would be anywhere near so pronounced.  To me, the portrait is simply flawed...

though it may not appear so 'in person'... and surely the subject didn't!

Lightly, Daniel  8)
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2007 at 6:04pm by Just_Daniel »  
IP Logged

duetsdove
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
It looks to me as if that's fabric, Daniel. . .part of a bloomer or something. . .possibly?

My question is. . .that if the painter is peering from behind the curtain. . .his view. . .looks to be apparently quite less draped. . .than ours. . .methinks?

~Ren~

IP Logged

Just_Daniel
Supreme Member

Slow down; things will
go faster. ~ djr

an undraped distraction...
Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Norm...

since I've been mystified by ONE thing each time I've seen this picture, could you please answer this for me, because it so distracts me as to not be able to offer critique of your poem!!!

Why in the world is that one patch of rear so WHITE.  There seems to be some strange flaw in the picture.  It's not lighting.  Something seems so artificial, like it's a mistake.  Surely someone must have commented on that!  (Or is it like the Emperor's clothing that everyone pretends to see ?)

sLightly distracted, Daniel  8)
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2007 at 12:45am by Just_Daniel »  
IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Well, seems the Firebox is where I get to play, so I'm playing through... 

Thanks for taking all the time and effort, Michael. It is greatly appreciated. I am going to approach your crit on three levels -- (a) the nature and tone of critiquing, (b) responding to you well-expressed thoughts on critical analysis of the piece and (3) discussing a little philosophy of my view of poetics.  All three may bleed into each other as I respond,

Norm, I've noted with other pieces of yours that you will sometimes use the archaic 'front-end capping' of all lines and in others, you don't.  This one is surely my example of why you should not do this.  I had to go back too many times just trying to get through the first Q simply because of some missing punct as well as the way you're phrasing.  
It's always debatable and I could spend hours posting examples of both sides of this,. I write my sonnets BOTH ways. Let's be clear -- I appreciate your point of view and respect your right to post it in my thread. But --- "archaic" is NOT a dirty word -- no more than "liberal" is. If at times I wish to write with caps in the front of every line, I am in quite good company like Shakespeare and Milton. Those guys weren't too shabby and the reader has only him/herself to blame if they stumble from line to line simply because of an upper case letter in front of each line---enjambment or not. I think that argument won't really hold up. Regarding the, "we live in modern times so let's use modern language and methods" ... balderdash! The sonnet itself is "old" or archaic. It is quite reasonable to use the "flavor" of the art form as it was originally scripted by those who "invented" it and popularized it. Surely, I write my sonnets in both styles -- let's not say one is "right" and one is "wrong" please. And BTW, such 20th century poets (and there must be 50 others) like Thomas Hardy, John Masefield, Edna St. Vincent Millay ALL wrote sonnets with all lines capped. Even those who "broke the sonnet rules" for meter (Shelley's famous Ozymandias), or number of lines even (Yeats' Leda and the Swan) STILL used front wend caps on every line! IMO it is a bad argument ... a debate that goes nowhere ... and strictly the opinion of the poet or the critter. You certainly are entitled to feel more comfortable with what you might call the "modern" way (without caps) but it is NOT the only or the "righteous new way. You may think k my poem would be better suited for no caps... I don't.

My initial read didn't net much to like from this because too many issues got in the way.  From a snapshot perspective, it's all there, but the delivery is a mess, imo.  I'll delineate below... 
Ahhh now we should discuss the TONE of critique -- "delivery is a mess" is offensive, brutal and non-productive. It smacks of a self-righteous demeaning tenor towards the person you are supposedly trying to help! It is rude!  Now it does NOT offend yours truly because I could care less --- but that kind of language just has no place in a critique. Yes this is the Firebox -- but there is still the rule of courtesy. Try and soften your approach -- this is not the Carl Rove forum. Be firm but kind. What would be so wrong with saying, "Your delivery, Norm, was hard for me to follow and maybe there are better ways to get your points across." You try that -- you won't find me saying in thread, "Your critique sucks, either"  --- which it DOESN'T, BTW.  You make too many good points to the writer so why spend your time bashing with words like "a mess."

In this museum his love does reside  
>>>upon FIRST read, this is reverse syntaxed; one should be saying this as; 
His love resides in this museum. 
Here we go again -- this is an old fashion love poem -- using the most popular 16th century poetic form -- I take a liberty to us such language. When you say "one should say" you again make the assumption that you are the author of the Harbrace Writing Course. "In this museum his love does reside" may not be comfortable or "right" to you, but it accomplishes a lot for me. I want the "archaic"--I want the assonance of does and love -- and if you listened to the audio, it flows just fine IMHO. I am trying not to be defensive -- I take objective criticism quite well -- but you are dead-set against a "style" and not really offering me a clear reason why this line suffers.

>>>then, because the next line is capped, I'm confirmed of this until I read further and realize, that line is also corrupted,
UGH!! We're are so hung up on caps, aren't we?? ASnd now nest to "mess" we have "corrupt" -- think about that -- the current administration is "corrupt" -- a line of poetry is NOT "corrupt" -- and certainly NOT because it begins with an upper case letter.

so I went back to L1 and read over the cap and lo and behold, some sense.
"some sense" --- I feel much better now.

I can see this opening couplet being read/said a couple of ways; 
'In this museum, his love resides;  
through secret visits, he makes love at will. 
(note; the awkward 'does' doesn't even need to be there and yes, destroys your sonnet filler but not supposed to do this anyhow, are ya?) 
or; 
In this museum, his love resides  
through secret visits; he makes love at will. 
or 
In this museum his love does reside-- 
through secret visits, he makes love at will. 
>>>here, I even put back in your reversal because I can see the 'poet emphasis' you're MAYBE making.  In all this, for a first line/first couplet intro, there's too much confusion.  The archaism of capping front ends of all lines stops the rhythm for me and causes bumps.  The reversed syntax isn't a glare until you try to get into L2.   

I like some of your alternative suggestions -- maybe not for the same reasons you suggest them --- but I appreciate that kind of input. Thanks
Through secret visits he makes love at will;  
>>>already commented on this, above 

His naked model looks where he does hide  
>>>again, more reversed syntax; are you doing this because the picture puts this theme in the old and yon?  Don't like this because it is not adding anything for me.  If you're going to do this, where's all the thees and thous? 
True -- the poem is not thine but mine. "Reversed syntax" is not a sin-tax. It may just be that poems written in this style are not your cup of tea. I assume you have read the classic sonnets...did THEY trouble you with reverse syntax?

>>>should be said as; His naked model looks where he hides. NO it should NOT -- I think the critiquer should say, "In my opinion, if I were writing this, I would say .......etc, etc.  You seem to always take the tact that your way is the only way and history tells me you are wrong about that dictate.

Behind that curtain viewing her so still.  
>>>more line caps, more missing punct; should be 'behind the curtain, viewing  her. no comment -- we are beating a dead HORSE -- in caps!   
>>>this 'still' is nebulous as you have written it; who's so still?  her or him?  I can read this either way.  More forced rhyme, syntax.  In all, this couplet too, should be written as;  Michael, Michael -- THAT duality is exactly the point of the poem and involves point of view -- methinks (archaic form) thou dost not get the gist.

'His naked model looks where he hides so still--behind the curtain, viewing her stillness, also. 

>>>I can't even really approximate this because exactly what you were trying for, is not clear.   

He, the open book, (not she), stares in,  
>>>this is the line where I stopped reading and went to pure critique; this line is tortured with the parenthetical and the construction.  No smoothness, openly furthering the confusion for me.  This should be; 
An open book, he stared in 
>>>you don't even need the reference to her nor the awkward insert of the parenthetical. 
I think the water is getting too deep -- now you hit the poor writer with "torture" as a means of helping see the error of his ways. Sorry .. there is purpose in the parentheses -- it causes a more pronounced pause, it implies "between the cover of a book" it intones included but not really included, belonging yet not really belonging, and it has a sexual implication.

>>>again, something which mystifies; why the quotes?  This the title of the pic?  Seems a play on a play of words and I'm not thinking this is helping this piece at all.
Now we are close to agreeing -- I pondered over that for some time myself and I think you are correct. It confuses rather than illuminates. I saw picturing the painter behind the curtains thinking, saying, to himself, "To be exposed" but is far too vague -- thanks -- you have confirmed it is awkward
Again, reconstruction gives; 
torn to be exposed, he's transfixed. not so sure I like your alternative but I will re-work this line.
>>>should I note the telly nature of the whole piece so far?  Not many seem to care, so twill just be another concept that is laid by the wayside. 
It is always a thin line between "telly" and "narrating" -- but love poems just have to do that. Read all of Shakespeare's sonnets and they tell and they offer philosophy and/or morals. I don't see a way around it.

>>>I'm pretty sure you know that the 'masters' considered contractions for their forms verboten, so using it here sure seems like a way to make meter.  You've already twisted the meter, so just swap in the 'be' and make it between. nope --- I think I can point out at least 100 such contractions in Shakespeare's sonnets alone. I just went to ONE page: try reading LV, LVIII, LX,  >>> and just to quote someone more modern, Bob Dylan wrote, "Now Ophelia, she's 'neath the window ."

>>>gaaaah, what's going on with this piece? I'll take the high road -- if you don't get it, you don't get it. I must surely be missing something true -- you are missing something as you are the missing word; are.  So, this line can say; 
her intuition knows his feeling's mixed...ah what? what have his feelings mixed?   
or 
her intuition knows his feeling's ARE mixed.<<<in which case I have some sense to the line. 

>>>for me, there is I think "are" is correct here??? but I could be wrong already too many paths to go down; the clarity for all its supposed surface lines, is muddled at best.   muddled -- another left-handed adjective

>>>wait; where did we get the brush from?  No where have you said he's an artist; you paint him as an onlooker, a voyeur.  So, this 'brush' COULD be a hairbrush which is how I first took it; still with that hazy, ah, brush   HELLO -- the guy is a painter --- she is his model -- he paints with brushes, no?

>>>and now we go from archaic demeanor and tone to one that is high tech; geez, not liking this mixing at all, Norm; spatial and temporal are soooo techie; you don't have a single word that is commensurate yet in this piece.  Surely you can keep the continuity and find subs. guess I can't. I agues neither could Shakespeare in Act I; Scene 1 of Henry V (note "temporal":
"It must be thought on. If it pass against us,
     We lose the better half of our possession:
     For all the temporal lands which men devout
     By testament have given to the church
     Would they strip from us; being valued thus:"

>>>best line of the lot, imo Well, thank you

The truth, which through his art his pastels hid.  
>>>missing punct, again; the truth, which through his art, his pastels hid. Correct -- that shall be edited - thanks
>>>this piece is a city intersection needing too many signs and lights for direction, methinks.cute comment -- if you mean it might be too esoteric or cryptic, I might one day have to concur as others weigh in on this -- Doug seems to agree with you on this point and I respect you both. 

This reproduction, same as she was then  
>>>more missing punct; comma at line's end, minimally; an emm dash where the commas should be would be better, imo. You are right again - thanks

>>>sound is good 

>>>couplet has the required snap; that's good. 

Well, the ride was torturous, Norm, the picture that inspired you a very good one though.   Oh, you are so into demeaning adjectives -- now I have created a torturous ride for thee -- but YOU chose to ride.

Sorry, but not much else I can say about this, hope to see a revision of this above the original, esp sans the archaism
losing the archaism is not an option, sorry!
of front-end capping and a lot cleaner delivery re phrasing.  also, NOT an option -- but thanks for "caring"

Michael 
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2018 at 2:03pm by Normpo »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint